Friday, May 29, 2009

goodbye Australia - welcome home

My last few days down under were rather unspectacular and eventless. I´ve been working until my second last day and for the distraction I had been more than thankful. Tuesday night I've been to the movies to watch Wolverine and all I can say is that Milford Sound rocks! Most of you won`t get the connection but that`s fine, I don't blame you for not knowing.

Wednesday came and I was soo busy at work I didn`t get the time to really think about my last day- again I am not complaining about it. Thinking about my last goodbye from Milford Sound/New Zealand and the mess I was back then I've done pretty well this time. Don't say I'm getting used to it though.

Wednesday night it was time to say goodbye to Katrin and so we've decided to have dinner in the Hofbraeuhaus - an adequate location I'd say although as a non-bavarian I had a grin on my face seeing the decoration and listening the music. People seem to like it though, as I've spotted quite a few other patrons too. Good German food but a bit pricey for my liking.

Thursday meant packing, cleaning out my room and spending as much time with Monty as possible. The poor bugger knew what was going on as soon as he spotted he suitcase and tried all his best to stop my intentions by simply starring at me with big watery eyes, climbing onto the suitcase or placing himself between the suitcase and myself. Will miss him!!! At around 6.30pm Nat took me to the airport and there I've shown a bit of how close to the edge I really was by losing my 2nd boarding pass just a minute after check in. Quite embarrasing really.

And then the only thing left to do was duty free shopping, getting a few Euros to get me started (don't laugh but I've forgotten the PIN for my German EFTPOS card) and waiting to board the plane. By the time we had eaten I was dog tired and slept for almost 8 hours (on and off). The first flight to Abu Dhabi lasted 13 hours and 45 minutes and it was painful trying to sleep in minimalist seats. In Abu Dhabi I had to wait for about 6 hours to get onto the second flight and by then I was sick of it and the only thing I wanted is getting of the plane and go home. After another 6 hours I arrived in Frankfurt, grabbed my luggage, was checked by customs (did I look noticeable with my suitcase, all my carry-on luggage and the duty free shopping bags?) and was greeted by a friend who lives in Frankfurt and wanted to meet for a chat. Then my brother picked me up and we made our way to his home.

Saturday I`ve done nothing but relaxing and Sunday I found myself sitting in the car again on my way home to surprise my parents who didn`t have a clue I was coming. I had to wait in the car while my brother and his girlfriend got my parents to come outside to 'pick up a very big present' (only metaphorically speaking). When they saw me they couldn`t believe their eyes and my mum was asking, if I had to fly back (as she awaited me for next week). As Sunday was my mums birthday this was the best present ever, as she kept saying.

Now I am home again and try to get used to everything. Driving on the right side, differences on computer keyboards due to a few additional letters and different locations (very annoying!), German TV (synchronized movies and TV series and it all sounds so dull!) and to be mothered by my mum. I keep saying I am 30 soon but do you think she is listening?

1 comment:

Katrin said...

Love your story, and don´t forget, your Mum loves you and wants all your best ;). Anyway, if its getting worse, come to my place and get mothered from my mum ;)
greetings the unemployed travelmate
K.