Monday, December 12, 2011

update December 2011

And here they are again, pangs of remorse for not writing more often. But why bore you with wish-wash of pointless stuff that interests nobody.

Nevertheless, a few of my thoughts:

New Zealand has won the Rugby World Cup 2011 and frankly I am glad it's all over. At times it was pathetic and boring to watch. Most kiwis have never seen serious threats deriving from the other teams and that made it even worse as the media was celebrating the All Blacks as winners before the whole thing had even started. That would have ended in embarassement and mutual depression nationwide so I am just happy for the All Blacks to have defeated the French (in a rather boring match).

John Key is the old/new Prime Minister of New Zealand and although I don't agree with a some of his policies, I still prefer seeing him on top instead of Labour's Phil Goff.

I have been to Fly My Pretties in Dunedin late October and going to the concert was a dream come true. Seeing that I have missed them so many times for various reasons, I just had to book the tickets as soon as they became available. I won't bore you with superlatives and I am only going to say that this wasn't my last Fly My Pretties concert!

Milford Sound is still the same (and always will be) and we are having our share of brainless tourists doing stupid things, asking ridiculous questions and complaining about the weather. I know what you are thinking, it can't be that bad. Alright, here we go. The other day a three year old child fell into the water because its parents didn't think it was important enough to watch the little one wandering about outside at the Discovery Centre (a floating structure, surrounded by water!). One of the staff had to jump in the water for rescue. People walking onto a busy road (State Highway 94) to take pictures and people serving themselves hot drinks while out on the Tasman Sea with 3 metre swells. And with all those stupid questions I could fill an entire book ("When will the dolphins come out, roughly?", "How far above sea level are we?", "What's the name of the lake?", "How did you get the boats through the tunnel?"). I have heard them so many times I can't even laugh anymore.


Not much longer and I'll be going to Melbourne for a short visit. Melbourne has been my home for 12 months and it's always going to have a special place in my heart. I am looking forward to going over in January although it will take me a few flights and overnight stays at Christchurch airport to get there and back. But I know the pain and the wait will be worth it!




No comments: