Friday, September 18, 2009

next stop Vancouver

My last night in Germany I haven't spend at home but at my friends place near Frankfurt. I've known Tina from my travels through New Zealand and we've been in contact ever since. She dropped me off at the airport and when I saw her driving away my nervousness -that I had lacked over the last few days - suddenly appeared. As luck would have it I've also met a former travel companion from New Zealand, while I was strolling along the airport. It's a small world we are living in!

Soon I learned that the scheduled departure for my flight to London Heathrow had been moved from 11.20am to 12.15am clock. Reason being the heavy fog in London that had delayed departures from across the ditch. I've already feared the worst and when we finally arrived in London, I ran for my life. Delay was with me wherever I went: passport control (in transit!), re-screening of luggage and people over people. With the final boarding call I arrived at the gate and boarded my flight to Vancouver.

I had two seats for myself during the nearly 10 hours flight to Vancouver and so I made myself comfortable. As I had hoped for the entertainment system was truly awesome and I had the chance to view four current films: Wolverine (I've seen it before but hey, it's Hugh Jackman!), Terminator Salvation, Hangover and The Proposal. I would have loved to sleep but I couldn't as it was bright throughout the entire flight and hence my eyes stayed open.

The view from the window was worth it though and I saw many icebergs floating in the water, not sure if it was Greenland or East Canada. As we flew over the Rocky Mountains, I was blown away and so were the last doubts. I will like this country! The Rockies are stunning and I took heaps of pictures to prove it. After landing, I had the Immigration Service to finally approve my work visa. The Work and Holiday visa had been granted to me already by the embassy in Berlin but somehow the Immigration Officer on the ground speaks the last word. I had to answer many questions about my stay in Canada, my plans, friends or acquaintances, etc., and in the end it turned out that I did not have a bank statement to prove any existing funds to support my stay (bloody hell, I had just forgotten to print it off!). The officer kept me in suspense for quite a while before he issued the work visa. After 30 minutes I was done at immigration and my suitcase went round in circles all by itself.

The airport shuttle took me downtown, dropped me off quite some distance from the hostel what made me dragging my heavy suitcase along Vancouver downtown while looking for my hostel. After checking in, I've just showered quickly, bought food, and went straight to bed because I wouldn't be going anywhere else today!

No comments: